2017 PSAT/SAT Summer CAMP Course Outline
Location: 2705 Hunter Mill Road, Oakton, VA 22124;
Near Vienna/Oakton/McLean/Falls Church, Fairfax, VA
August SAT Session and Schedule:
- 9 am – 12 noon (SAT English)
- Pretest and post test assessment will be conducted
- 1:1 teacher and student conference will be conducted
- College Admission Interviewing: Johns Hopkins University Admission Office, Alumni Interviewing Committee Member will be on site to share prospective students’ interviewing process and requirements
Contact: email@example.com for any additional questions.
SAT English: This course is designed to introduce students to the new (2016) SAT English format and to provide them with strategies and practice to succeed on this exam. Students will work 3 hours each day, learning strategies for successful multiple choice answers, approaches to write essay responses aligned to the expectations of the new exam, and honing skills relevant to the use of Standard English conventions. This session will target the following goals:
- Students will be able to apply Critical Reading strategies which will best address the type of questions in the redesigned exam.
- Students will be able to adapt test-taking practices to the revised questions in the new SAT.
- Students will practice with texts and contents which are aligned to the new SAT, reflecting the emphasis on historical documents, global issues, current affairs, science, as well as traditional classic literature.
- In both reading and essay writing, the course will emphasize how to interpret, synthesize, and use evidence.
- Vocabulary study will focus on inferential strategies in order to prepare students for the new emphasis on contextual meaning.
- Students will practice analyzing data and information found on charts, graphs, and passages which reflect those which will be found on the new SAT.
- Students will read passages and apply analytical analysis of the author’s argument. Strategies, such as those found in AP English, will be taught. Texts will reflect the type of passages which will be given for analysis on the new SAT.
- The activities will consist of learning or honing test-taking strategies, practicing questions and/or prompts such as those which will be on the revised PAST/SAT, and analysis of individual learning needs for test success.
- A pre and post-test will be given to note progress
- 1:1 Teacher/Parent Conference Meeting will be scheduled for student’s progress and improvement.
Instructor Bio: Ms. Murphy has over 30 years of experience as a teacher of English in both public and private schools, serving as Department Chairperson of English High Schools. Most recently, she was the Instructional Leadership Specialist in English and content literacy. She was appointed to represent her school district on the Model Curriculum Writing Project and was recognized as a top author of standards-based English curriculum, winning note from achieve.org, a nationally well-known Education Think Tank. Ms. Murphy was honored to be on the NEW 2016 SAT review committee.
Ms. Murphy is currently teaching SAT and English Critical Reading/ Writing at Oakton Academy. She has taught AP Literature and AP Language in high school for 30 years.
SAT Math, Effective Communications, Summer Programs, please visit links below:
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions. Thank you! Registration Link
Location: 2854 Hunter Mill Road, VA 22124. (near Oakton, Fairfax, Vienna)
Contact: (571) 354-7199; or email@example.com for any additional questions.